Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Sister's Keeper

        The other day when I was sick I went back and re-read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.  Great book, in case you were wondering.  Anyway, in this book the main character is Anna, even though it tells the story from multiple people's views.  But anyway her sister Kate has cancer so they  created Anna, literally created like in a petri dish, who would be a perfect genetic match to Kate.  Now Anna is filling a law suit against her parents because she doesn't want to donate a kidney to her sister.
        So is it wrong of her to not donate a kidney?  Well, it sort of is, at least in my opinion.  Anna is the only one who can save her sister.  If my brother was dying and I was the only one who could save him I probably would give him the kidney.  But Anna and Kate aren't just sisters, they are best friends.  They don't really have other friends.  It's kind of hard for them to stick around knowing what is going on in that family.  So if Anna doesn't donate her kidney, Kate will die, and Anna will not only lose her sister, she would lose her best friend.  That would be like 2 losses in one, which I think would make it harder for Anna than it already would be if they were just sisters.
        It's also okay for her to not donate a kidney.  Why should her sister's life be in Anna's hands?  That is not fair for Anna.  She has her own life to worry about.  Plus, what if she donates the kidney and it doesn't work, and Kate dies anyway?  Then Anna will have one less kidney for no reason at all.  Besisdes, you don't have to help someone, you choose to.  And if Anna isn't choosing to then why should she donate a kidney? It's not the law, she wont get arrested if she doesn't.
        I guess all I am really saying is that Anna has a choice, and either one could be the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment